The Maurer Update

Everyday life. Fun stories. Captured moments.

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Cough Cough Cough

...so we went to the doctor yesterday and found out that Creed has Asthma! Not only did I receive the "get your children vaccinated or they might DIE" speech (which I understand could happen, but scare tactics are not the way to sell me on vaccines) but Creed's cough has gotten worse, which makes me nervous that on top of asthma he could still end up with whooping cough. (In fact one website said that if you have asthma the chances are higher that you will get it!) We were sent home with 5 medications! (for those of you who know me, I will probably only use one or maybe two unless I really feel he needs it...what 4 month old needs steroids?) Thanks to everyone who is praying. I have to keep reminding myself that I am a woman of faith--otherwise fear most definately reigns. Most cases of death or severe sickness is in infants under 6 months. Like my friend Melisa said "Jesus is bigger than that." Now I just stand on that for two more weeks and hopefully by then everything will be back to the "norm". In the meantime, if God brings our family to your mind send out a prayer! Thanks. By the way, Jon is not worried at all. He feels bad that I worry so much over a cold! What a great man I have for a husband-I need him to be the rock right now. Sorry ladies, he's taken.

2 Comments:

At 7/16/2005 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The steriods might actually be the most important thing. They act to relieve the inflamation in his lungs which will allow them to heal. If he continues to cough, that is making his lungs work extra hard, and making him tired, both things making his immune system even weaker (ie. more suseptable to Whooping Cough). I agree it's a trade off, but in the situation you've described, I certainly think the benefits of the steriods far outweigh the risks. One course of steriods is not going to hurt him one bit and could prevent lung damage that will leave him more likely to need more medicines in the future. Also, if the lungs passageways get too constricted, he will not be able to breathe, the steroids will help prevent this. I wouldn't chance it.

 
At 7/18/2005 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it nice to have a friend who blogs and is a nurse! Good advice Carrie! Yeah, Kate I was just going to say that maybe it's time to think about some medicine. I love your stance, and I continue to pray, but God does brings blessings through the medical profession. Healing can occur miraculously and I pray Creed doesn't need medicine anymore in Jesus' name. God healed Jon, whynot his boy? Do what your heart tells you though, I know you'll make a good decision.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home